Diese Seite gibts auch in Deutsch
A compact PC
There is no rule that standard PCs have to be huge boxes. These one suits well under my stereo...
|40cm * 6cm * 40cm
|not much since it was made of old parts which have just been lying around
|K6-2 / 333MHz
|96 MB EDO
|Standard 430 VX BAT / Socket 7
|4 MB PCI with 3D and TV-Out
|SB AWE32 ISA with 8 MB wavetable RAM
|100 MBit PCI
|13 GB E-IDE
|None, since these are ancient and its functionality is provided by network and USB
|external via USB, emulated in software or via network
|40 Watt, passive cooling (now replaced with 160 Watt supply allowing additional components)
|DOS, Win95 OSR 2.1, Win2k
Tips for Reassembly
- A suitable case (Rack?) and power supply can cost up to 100 $. But with a bit luck you may get outsorted hardware from a networking or system operator for free which provides the case and the power supply
- The power supply must provide enough power, especially on the 5 V / 3.3 V - line. A good idea for an inexpensive power supply is using an SFX form factor one.
- AGP, PCI and ISA raiser cards can either be selfmade or purchased from several companies.
Some vendors: AP-Products, Mitac, Compute-Aid, LinITX, Orbit Micro, Rackmountmart, Logicsupply, Stayonline
- If you use motherboards with onboard sound, graphic and network, you do neither need extra adapters nor the raiser cards
- Many simple sound and networking cards are available in low profile, so after removing the metal sheet you can directly stick them into the slot without a raiser.
Some Vendors: D&B, Leadman, Sunrich
- Boards and other components for small systems are also available via http://mini-itx.com
- Make sure the power supply, the CPU, the graphic card and maybe the harddisk are cooled properly. It might be helpful to direct fresh air to certain devices while exhausting warm air directly out of the case so that it does not heat up the case.
- A good source for components are also vendors of industry computer parts, or a search through online shops, auctions and flea markets (they are dominated by new parts in low quantities).